Jonathan has worked hard to gain a reputation for excellence and regularly receives instructions in serious and complex criminal cases which often involve a high media profile. He is approachable, practical and well prepared whatever the nature of the offence. He is a strong jury advocate whether prosecuting or defending. He regularly deals with disadvantaged and vulnerable clients. Jonathan has always made himself available to advise informally and at short notice. Jonathan has a strong record of successfully appealing cases in the Court of Appeal, in the High Court by case stated, and by referral from the Criminal Cases Review Commission. Legal 500 – ‘Is highly recommended’.
- Member of the South Eastern Circuit
- R-v-Almagboul – 21/7 Terrorism trial at the Central Criminal Court.
- R-v-Hamlet (& others) – Leading junior in murder trial representing the only defendant to be acquitted
- R-v-Guthrie – Fraud. Reported case as leading authority on jury tampering resulting in judge only verdicts. Appealed to ECHR.
- R-v-Harris – Rape and Kidnap. Reported case as leading authority on cross-examination of previous sexual history.
- R-V-Ellis – Offensive weapon. Reported case as leading authority on defining a public place.