Charmaine is a very experienced advocate who is regularly instructed in the Crown Court in cases of serious violence, sexual offences, firearms, drug supply and financial crime. She accepts instructions from both Prosecution and Defence and is a Grade 3 Prosecutor.
With a broad common law background, Charmaine is adept at analysing complex material and dealing with cases that cross the Court Jurisdictions. Charmaine is a very effective trial advocate; bringing a calm, yet persuasive approach to the courtroom. Charmaine is well regarded for her ability to deal with vulnerable clients and witnesses in a sensitive manner and has recently undertaken the Advocacy and the Vulnerable Training Programme
Charmaine regularly practises in Public and Private law proceedings involving children and domestic violence. She acts for Applicants and Respondents in cases of physical, sexual and emotional abuse, neglect and non–accidental injury. Charmaine is experienced in Private law disputes relating to residence, contact and specific issues as well as cases involving
an international element.
- LLB Law
- Criminal Bar Association
- South Eastern Circuit
- R v Winter and Winter Representing one of two defendants charged with gross negligence manslaughter arising from the death of two fire officers following an explosion at a fireworks factory.
- R v Jones Junior counsel for the defence in a case involving a nationwide paedophile conspiracy and police entrapment.
- R v Brown Representing a Church of England vicar in the country’s largest sham marriages prosecution. Successfully defended the Crown’s application for a POCA order in excess of £2 million
- R v Matthews Representing one of a number of defendants involved in a sophisticated property fraud and money laundering conspiracy
- R v Abberley Representing one of several defendants involved in a large-scale burglary conspiracy
- R v Wilson and others Secured guilty verdicts against all 4 defendants on trial for section 18 wounding
- West Sussex County Council v LM, KM and CM Representing a mother in public law care proceedings facing allegations of over-medicating and causing medical misdiagnosis of a child
- East Sussex County Council v EM and others Representing a mother in public law care proceedings, successfully defending allegations of causing non-accidental injury to a child
- West Sussex County Council v BP Representing a father with learning difficulties in public law care proceedings, successfully defending the Local Authority’s application for final care and placement orders